APPOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING:

Dear All,

Following the Charcoal/wood workgroup meeting at Oxford in June, we are offering to host the next meeting at The Hive, Worcester on Saturday 24th November. We originally expected to do this early/mid December as this would be about 6 months after the last meeting, but we have a problem with room bookings at that time.

The plan is to start at 10:00 for 10:30 and finish at around 3:30 to 4.00pm. As usual the format will be discussion in the morning, followed by a microscope session. We are also offering a visit to the site of a reconstructed Saxon hall that burnt down in 2008. The site has been left untouched and would be ideal for carrying out research into the taphonomy of the site, and some substantial burnt timbers that are still standing. The site is available to carry out research if anyone is interested. We are hoping to run this alongside a microscope session, so that people can choose to stay at The Hive or go on the visit.

In the morning I will give a short introduction to the Saxon hall, then Gill Campbell has offered to give a 20 minute talk about research on a similarly burnt down Saxon house at West Stow. Please do let me know if you have any other topics that you wish to discuss or present, and bring any specimens or material you would like to look at. We will circulate more information closer to the time.

We (Worcestershire Archaeology) have recently moved to a new building – a joint Library/Record Office/Archaeology service. The venue is The Hive  http://www.thehiveworcester.org/, which is close to the railway station and bus station, with parking nearby. Please email me if you need more information on travel.

The room for the morning discussion session can take a maximum of 25 people, so to help with our planning, please could you reply to me to confirm your attendance and to indicate (broadly) the type of food that you plan to bring for our usual combined picnic lunch.