Any ideas please ??

I think I must be missing something....

I saw a new patient in clinic yesterday with a very odd series of lipid
results

54 yr old Caucasian female( not from Luton, but Harpenden) non smoker,
type 2 DM ( HbA1c never high according to GP), BMI 35, minimal alcohol
consumption

No clinical stigmata of hyperlipidaemia

Drug History

Metformin

Amlodipine

Candesartan,

Venlafaxine

Femoston

Inhalers for asthma

No other real PMH

June 2011

Tg  45.0,   Chol 8.4 mmol/L

Gp started her on Simvastatin 40mg  !!

July 2011

 Tg  5.2 ,  Chol  4.1 mmol/L

No bloods for 12 months

21/8/12

Tg 29.6, Chol 15.2  HBA1c 51mmol/mol

30/8/12

Tg 93.0, Chol 20.4mmol/L

All above samples assayed at another lab using Vitros and GP lab reports
say samples were lipaemic

She was still on Simvastatin 40mg

Gp phoned me on 13th Sept and I told her to stop Statin and give her
Ciprofibrate 100mg nocte,( so had been taking it for 1 week) and saw her
yesterday

Her fasting lipids today on Beckman

Tg 4.4, Chol 4.0, HDL 1.84 mmol/L

FBC ( and MCV),LFT and U and E normal

Patient denies any excessive indulgence in fatty foods.

Any ideas why this patient had 3 out of 4 such deranged results...?

My colleague suggested we give her a " Pizza and chips challenge".....

Many thanks

Regards

Danielle

Dr Danielle B. Freedman MB BS, FRCPath,EurClinChem

Divisional Director

Diagnostics, Therapeutics and Outpatients

Luton and Dunstable University Hospital NHS FT

Luton, LU4 0DZ

+441582 497212

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk