Dear all

Apologies in advance.

Will not speaking specifically to all areas, there are system design advantages to running P to L. Years ago, measuring at 340 nm for assays that generate very little signal was a challenge. This was clearly evident in transaminase assays such as AST and ALT. LDH was in the same category in that L to P was a slower rate leading to low signal.  Assays with little signal had precision issues at the low end due in part to noise of the reading system. Laboratories at that time complained of the low end precision and lack of (dare I say) low end ‘sensitivity’.

Assay design chemists faces how to overcome the signal to noise issue. Rrunning P to L increased the signal and improved low end performance substantially. It was also found that upper end linearity did not suffer nor did one have to increase the NADH levels. Reagent stability was also found to be improved.

This work for some assay design chemists was built in part from prior recommendations provided by the  Scandinavian Committee of Enzymes in the early 1970’s in which the P to L reaction was discussed and proposed.

When P to L methods were then introduced in the back in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, I recall this very discussion of harmonization. Labs were very pleased with the improved performance. Back then the idea was to move everyone to P to L.

Interesting how the discussion has come 180 degrees. The differences of P to L vs L to P are in fact based on very clear assay/system challenges that were and remain far from arbitrary.

Hope this bit helps explain some of the history as to how we got here.

Good discussion.

Joe I