I have explained my rationale at length.

toyin

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Noah Gardiner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Toyin,

As to the point of the film being 'informative', as you call it...

The film shows us Muhammad invoking Koranic verses to justify his sexual tastes.
That can be corroborated with reference to his life.
Even if this were transparently true (and as it is, it's something that could be construed only through an incredibly tendentious reading of the sources), the inclusion of occasional items drawn from the historical record into a mass of hateful satire does not make something legitimately 'informative'. That's like promoting the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and saying 'but some Jews really are bankers'.

As for the entirely separate issue of extremist reactions to such things as this stupid film, or to such compelling works of art as Rushdie's _Satanic Verses_, of course it's morally inexcusable to use violence in response to such things. The fact that British TV pulled what sounds like an interesting special on academic debates surrounding the accuracy of the sources on early Islam (debates that have been going on for decades now, without violence, as you'd know if you'd read any academic studies of early Islam), is also deplorable. Surely, however, you can deplore these things without being so intellectually dishonest as to defend the intellectual value of trash like the 'Innocence of Muslims'.

So please explain what you hope to achieve by circulating this film, because, as I normally quite enjoy your contributions here, I would hate to think that you (like the film-makers) only hope that it will provoke more violence and Western retaliation. What is it you think you're achieving by putting this (rather off-topic) call out on an academic listserv?

- Noah

I am starting with this film because it is the spark of the latest outrage from violent Islamic extremists.

Frankly, my purpose is to demonstrate that it is the duty of Muslims to do what you are doing now, challenging  criticism of their religion through debate, not kill people, a style of response that has come to characterize that religion.

There is an ad portraying Jesus and his disciples as rats using the canonical motif of the Last Supper.  Most people dont even know of it. People complained against the Marithe and Francois Girbaud  ad using the Last Supper  motif in  portraying Jesus and his disciples as sexy female models. The ad was banned after it was ruled against by the Italian Advertising Standards authority and a judge in Paris, and all monies spent in relation  to the ad was reimbursed by the Catholic Church. Nobody died or suffered any threats.

Why must a particular religion hold the world to ransom?

These violent Islamic extremists are ruled by a militant mentality and the world would do well to relate to them with a militant spirit.

They are impervious to reason, and some Muslims  are already jubilating over the latest  horror perpetrated in the name of this inhuman mentality.  It was this jubilation that made me take this action.

Islam is the only religion in the world that continues to be characterized buy such consistent horror.

All other religions have refined themselves but the story is different in Islam.

Violent Islamists, individually and in groups, engage in regular orgies of killing in the name of their religion while other Muslims  often maintain silence, give tacit support, while some  practically justify this horrible behavior in the name of 'provocation' or offer feeble criticism.

All over the world, there is nowhere people are safe from these blood thirsty  and inhuman violent Islamic extremists.

They are prepared to kill in broad daylight anywhere and go to prison for it.

This world wide  murderous fanaticism  is evident in the murder of Theo Van Gogh for his film Submission on abuses of women in Islam. Theo was killed in the Netherlands, not in an Islamic country. . The Ayatollah Khomeini sentenced the English Indian novelist Salman Rushdie to death and so many died for a book challenging the image of Muhammad. Recently, the English TV Channel 4 canceled showing of a film exploring claims of Islam because the maker of the film had been receiving death threats.

Violent counter action cannot be advised but some forceful action against such mentalities must be adopted.

These violent extremists  have constituted themselves into a global force of violent deterrent. This self organization as a strike force active anywhere in the world must be forcibly countered. As it is, they consider nobody to be safe from their attacks. Such horrible impunity must come to an end.

thanks

toyin