On a related note to what Noah said, James, I'd take a look at this article from last year in the Independent http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/mecca-for-the-rich-islams-holiest-site-turning-into-vegas-2360114.html

And this entry in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraj_Al_Bait (Isengard comes to Mecca!)