Hello Laura

I’m of on leave after today, but thought I’d quickly send you a description of a very similar item that we received last year.  Interestingly this one was used by a the GP for obstetric home deliveries ~ in the picture ending ~ 1 you can just make out some of the delivery instruments.  I don’t think there is much monetary value for these.  Should you decide that it is out with your collection scope, we would certainly be interested taking it ourselves [a bit cheeky maybe J ]

Best wishes ~ Andrew

ED.CS.2011.46.A

Portable obstetric bag.

Leather medical bag with two locking catches and carrying handle.  Inscribed at the handle with the letters D.C.D.  The case opens to three tray compartments [one large and two small].   The contents are mainly obstetric although general surgery instruments are also contained.  There are boxed sutures of various types including horse hair; boxed drugs including Aminophylline  injection and Ethyl Chloride local anaesthetic.

Andrew Connell

Museum Collections Manager

The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh

Nicolson Street, Edinburgh EH8 9DW.

Tel: 0131 527 1678         Fax: 0131 557 6406

Mailto:[log in to unmask]   www.edinburgh.surgeonshall.museum

RCSEd

Facebook Twitter

This message is intended for the stated addressee(s) only and may be confidential. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. Any opinions expressed in this email do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Any unauthorised disclosure, use or dissemination, either whole or in part is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately.

The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh believes that this email and any attachments are free of viruses. However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure it is virus free and The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh cannot accept any responsibility for any loss or damage that may arise from the use of this email or its contents.

The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Nicolson Street, Edinburgh EH8 9DW. Registered Charity Number SC005317