> No, what I mean is that there is no tarball WN for either EMI1 or EMI2.
>
> I'm running a glite 3.2 WN, but I already have an almighty mess on my
> hands with a glite 3.2 tarball, a glite 3.2 home made glexec tarball
> and an EMI-1 argus server on top and EMI is not helping here.

I will emphasise the deadlines only apply to software which is currently out of security support. They do not apply to the gLite 3.2 WN.

> It's not something I can deploy from one day to the next and it would
> be nice to have something to test at some point - it's been over a year
> since EMI-1 was released.
>
> If the powers that be want timely software upgrades they should also
> provide software in a timely manner.

I would agree.  I would say that replacement software should be available for at least 3 months (preferably 6) before retirement.  By that I mean with all the problems sorted, easy to install, well documented etc.  For the future I'm planning to push for 6 months security support for old software after replacement is available and fully working.

> Having said this, an EMI1 bdii is trivial to install, but I cannot make
> e.g. UCL do it.
>
> My excuse for the topbdii is that I have never failed the uptime
> requirements to my knowledge and I hate having to disturb a well
> working system, but I will do it in time for the deadline.
>
> Yesterday I upgraded my last 2 CEs from glite to EMI-1.
> They almost work now ;-) (I only got a dozen files that need
> configuring by hand/script after running yaim, sigh. And half of them
> get overwritten with every update to the rpms. I know more about the
> inner workings of all SGE supports scripts/code than I would ever care
> about.)

It doesn't sound good if you need to configure that much my hand. Maybe more needs to be done in testing the installation before software is released and/or improving installation scripts.

Linda.

--
Scanned by iCritical.