Hello James,

to ensure, how did you specify these two models with different results exactly? As far as I know mini-block design means that you have a short block with several trials, and you might want to model the whole block as a single epoch or every trial separately. But you talk of different durations for different trials, which I understand as if you are ondering whether to use a fixed duration or a variable duration.

So did you compare
1) an event-related model with a fixed duration of 0 s
2) an epoch-related model with variable length for each of the trials
3) a block-design, which collapses several trials?

Best,

Gabor