Hi Colin,

in spm_defaults.m there is a field defaults.mask.thresh somewhere which is set at 0.8 (80%) of total in brain signal intensity. I often have to lower it as well for some special sequences that have lower intensities at the edges. Also for strong smoothing you might need lower values. I actually put it on 0.2 by default, even for normal EPI sequences, to my taste too much signal gets masked out for the default setting of 0.8.

When you lower it, of course you need to be cautious for out of brain activation in artifactual signal, for example caused by nyquist ghosting or in non-neuronal tissue.

I think it is about time this threshold is moved to the batch tree GUI for everyone to edit and save. I've seen to many posters and papers already where suspiciously large edges of the cortex are blanked from activation maps, clearly visible in an overlay on a T1 template. I guess many people uncorrectly take this default threshold for granted, which might not be a good idea.

Who knows how many interesting science about the function of outer gyral crowns and lips has gone down the drain ;-)

Cheers,

Bas

Dr. S.F.W. Neggers
Division of Brain Research
Rudolf Magnus Institute for Neuroscience
Utrecht University Medical Center

Visiting : Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht
           Room B.01.1.03
Mail     : Huispost B01.206, P.O. Box 85500
           3508 GA Utrecht, the Netherlands
Tel      : +31 (0)88 7559609
Fax      : +31 (0)88 7555443
E-mail   : [log in to unmask]