Have you reviewed The Good Viva Video? http://www.angelproductions.co.uk/universities.htm

I have put a large number of first hand phd diaries on the web for trainers to use for free. Many of these detail experiences of being examined and examining where things went wrong. Have a look through them: http://www.missendencentre.co.uk/links.html

We have run seminars at Missenden on examining PhDs in the past and could do so again if people tell me that there is a demand. We added an expert in examining and a lawyer who deals with the increasing number of challenges and appeals.

You are on to a crucial issue. Many universities are putting aside up to 0.5m to pay compensation to students, the larger sums for doctorate examination failure. See also OIHE etc annual reports.

Good luck
John

John Wakeford
07905111415