Hi again Patrick,

Just wanted to respond to your question at the end of your message. In terms of impacts, I think it is important to collect both pre- and post-Public engagement data that directly measures researchers' thinking in order to assess this. There are a number of specific questionnaire items I have used to this end in the past such as the 'thought-listing' items in the Science in Norwich Day evaluation ('please list the first five things that come to mind when you think of 'the public'', repeated pre- and post-engagement. In terms of post-engagement self-report focusing on positives, I suggest the question 'what, if anything, do you feel you have gained from this experience?'. These are some suggestions for questionnaires: of course there are a range of other methods that can be used such as focus groups and interviews.

I have argued in a couple of published commentaries against focusing ONLY on collecting positive anecdotes and relying only on post-engagement self-reports as these tend to exclude the possibility of negative impacts. Negative impacts from public engagement do happen and it is important to learn from these cases as well in order to increasingly limit their prevalence.

Best,
Eric

Dr Eric Jensen, Fellow Higher Education Academy
Assistant Professor of Sociology, University of Warwick
http://warwick.academia.edu/EricJensen
Office: Ramphal Building (2.17)

‘Evaluating Impacts of Public Engagement and Non-Formal Learning’ Seminar Series: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/sociology/news/scd/publicengagement

Impact Project Manager, ESRC Centre for Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy, Department of Economics, University of Warwick

Master of Science in Science, Media and Public Policy at Warwick: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/sociology/pg/prospect/programmes/smpp/

Sent from my iPad