-----Original Message-----
From: psci-com: on public engagement with science
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Patrick Middleton (BBSRC, SO)
Sent: 23 August 2012 15:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PSCI-COM] Public engagement - why bother?

Hi all,

Help please!

I'm trying to draw together examples, anecdotes and evidence of what
researchers get out of doing public engagement. If you have any examples
please let me know and I'll post them on the growing list here:
http://www.scoop.it/t/public-engagement-why-bother

You often hear people say things like, "public engagement can make think
about your research differently" or "talking to people helps you reassess
your research questions". But what's the evidence for this?

I'm interested in any benefits that researchers feel they get out of doing
public engagement - better people skills, improved CV, more funding,
improved confidence - but I'm most interested in examples where public
engagement has actually effected what research gets done.

Do you know of any research in this area or have any anecdotes to share?

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick Middleton

BBSRC Head of Engagement

01793 413 368  |  07771 945 529

 <http://www.bbsrc.ac.uk> www.bbsrc.ac.uk  |
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]  |
<http://www.twitter.com/Patrick_Midd> @Patrick_Midd

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the
individual(s) to whom it/they are addressed. If you believe you have
received this in error please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from
your system.
BBSRC may need to release information, including this email and any
attachments therein, under the terms of the Freedom of Information or Data
Protection Acts.
Opinions, conclusions or other information in this message and attachments
that are not related directly to BBSRC business are solely those of the
author and do not represent the views of BBSRC.
This message has been scanned by the WebRoot Email Security Service. For
more information please visit http://www.webroot.com
'JISCMail'. It adheres to the JISCMail Acceptable Use Policy:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/acceptableuse.html and to the
JISCMail guidelines for etiquette:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/etiquette.html

Email commands: 1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for
example, send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following
message:

2. To resume email from the list, send an email to [log in to unmask]
with the message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

3. To leave psci-com, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the
message:

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]

Please allow up to 24 hours for these commands to activate. Remember that
you will need to send commands using the same email address that you used to
register on psci-com. To contact the Psci-com list owner, please send an
email to: [log in to unmask]