Terry wrote in his message dated on 14th Aug:

 This may lead to a non-anthropometric view
of design – similar to that intrinsically implied by design theories such as
Activity Theory and ANT in which computers are capable of design activity
and other forms of tool use alongside humans, other primates, elephants,
bears, dingoes, dolphins, octopi, wrass (fish), ants, and birds, especially
of the  Corvus family (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_use_by_animals
).

I must comment upon that. It is true that actor network theory  (ANT) grants agency to all kind of non-human things. One must remember, however, that ANT is also and maybe first of all a gauntlet that Bruno Latour as a renegade sociologist has thrown to the face of his more traditionally oriented colleagues,  who have abstracted materiality out from sociology and believe that "social" can be understood  by studying only texts distilled from social interactions between people. ANT shouts: "material world is there and it must be taken into account!"  but it is not necessarily an attempt to model the world in a balanced way, so to say. Inspirational  it is in its exaggregation, but care is needed before using it as a foundation --  for a design theory, for example.

On the contrary, Activity Theory (AT) is an attempt to model (small parts of) world in a "balanced way". It is not  a design theory either (yet -- we are working on it...:-)). And it is true that it is not anthropocentric in the individualistic, de-contextualized way, but it is still anthropocentric in an "activity-oriented" way: humans exercise agency, but they do that in social activities shaped by historically emerged cultural and material contexts, which have to be taken in the account, if we want to study the phenomenon.

One of the Latour examples is a speed bump, which has agency of its own according to ANT. For AT, a speed bump is the long hand of a traffic regulation activity: a human has made a decision to reduce speed at a point, and the activity has created an organ for that.

Computer programs are rather universal organs, crystallizations of human ideas and experience. Within activities, they are used by humans for the purposes of those activities. Human practices and use of various artifacts in them and development of new artifacts is what is interesting in design.

I agree with Terry that computers will find many more uses and both automatize  routines and help to do things that otherwise would be impossible; what we see now is just a beginning. But that process may have its twists and turns...

best regards,
--Kari Kuutti
Univ Oulu, Finland