Hi Peter,

Reading the link, the first thing that came to mind was the views pointed to
by Bogost,  Harman and Nagel have been around for a long time - back to
around 800 AD at least and I suspect much earlier.

A  question that needs a better answer  is why we have been  obsessed with
using  'experience' and ' sense of identity' (along with its baggage such as
'agency' and 'intention' )  as the epistemological basis for  exploring
design issues.  It hasn't worked very well over the last 50 years and
doesn't seem to be getting any better.  Perhaps it is time to look
elsewhere.

The main approaches to understanding  and formulating theory about design as
an activity  have done so from egoistic perspectives with a assumption that
subjective experience is a primary  touchstone for validity in understanding
how we design.    Both are intrinsically problematic and the mess in much of
the design theory literature is characterised by the problems associated
with both.

My analyses so far indicate it is better to drop the idea of  focusing on
design activity for making theories about how we make designs. Or at very
least, drop those aspects of it that focus on design as a 'meaningful'
activity'  -  until the world has a much better understanding of what
something means to be meaningful that is  based on more than individuals
perception of 'meaning' in what they do.

Best wishes,
Terry