I have just been reading the document containing the proposed changes to RIDDOR:(http://consultations.hse.gov.uk/gf2.ti/f/16770/442917.1/PDF/-/CD243.pdf

I see that it is proposed to remove the requirement under RIDDOR to report any occupational diseases, other than those caused by biological agents.

Whilst we cannot deny that underreporting of occupational diseases was enedmic in our system, this will presumably mean that there will in future be no statistical data on occupational diseases in the UK. In addition I feel it sends completely the wrong signal to management, i.e. “If we don;t have to report it then it isn’t important and we can ignore it.” I fear that this could make our efforts to reduce occupational diseases much more difficult.

What do others think about this?

Chris

Chris Packham

FRSPH, FIIRSM, FInstSMM, MCMI, MBICSc

EnviroDerm Services

Unit 10, Building 11, The Mews, Mitcheldean, GL17 0SN

Tel: +44 (0)1386 832 311

Mobile: 07818 035 898