In a factory the work is usually boring. Music keeps the staff motivated. In a library the concentration required is different.  Most staff don't mind the noise level usually just the type. We rotate the programmes to make it fair. All seem OK with this. Tracy

-----Original Message-----
From:         Chris Packham <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:       [log in to unmask]
Date:         Thu, 9 Aug 2012 16:08:39
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Stress caused by music played at work?

I agree with Anne about those in cars. We once had an employee who we could
tell was about to arrive at work as the noise from his car's stereo system
could be heard about half a mile away as he drove though the village where
our premises were located! Funny that he had difficulty hearing at work!!!

I have seen more than one workplace where the noise level from the music,
being at a level sufficient to be heard over the noise of the machinery, put
the total noise level up to a point where hearing protection became
mandatory. Without the music the noise levels were perfectly satisfactory.
Furthermore, in one case the noise level was such that it was difficult to
detect noises indicating possible problems and made communication difficult.
This was putting worker safety at risk.

Just as an afterthought, we insist on quiet in libraries so that those
present can concentrate. So why not in that more dangerous workplace
environment?

Of course, this is primarily a management issue, but they need to be aware
of the potential implications of a decision.

Chris

Chris Packham
FRSPH, FIIRSM, FInstSMM, MCMI, MBICSc
EnviroDerm Services
Unit 10, Building 11, The Mews, Mitcheldean, GL17 0SN
Tel: +44 (0)1386 832 311
Mobile: 07818 035 898

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: