dear simon,

thanks for the hints. the model that you describe is familiar from a
number of practice-based art PhD programs (Malmo Art Academy at Lund
University run something similar). this is useful, though i had hoped to
aim my question in a slightly different direction:

are there PhD programs that are open for artists and more clearly placed
in the field or on the border of *engineering*? to be honest, i have no
idea what engineering PhDs look like these days, but i fantasise about a
PhD project that is akin to a technical invention, the thesis looking
more like a patent application than a philological monograph (the latter
format can be impossible for artists who have the technical and
conceptual but not the writing skills).

just a dream?

-a