From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of James Bugslag [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 06 August 2012 18:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] a question about the history of preaching in English

Good points Jon.  We will probably never know, however, how images in parish churches were exactly used proactively in pastoral pursuits, but that they were used in some way is, I believe, indisputable.  A very good indication of this are the surviving examples of wall paintings, and sometimes I believe, stained glass, of images warning against blaspheming or gossiping in church - both, presumably, in the vernacular.
Cheers,
Jim