From: Genevra Kornbluth <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [M-R] Feasts and Saints of the Day: August 1
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, August 2, 2012, 7:13 PM

On 8/2/2012 3:04 PM, James Bugslag wrote:
Genevra,
It is difficult to generalize about how any building "looks" in the 12th century.  In this case, there is certainly nothing about the representation that picks it out as a prison.  It is a very generic "building" which is mostly doorway, to show that St Peter is leaving it.  It might also be a town, or a house, although if it were supposed to be a church, there may well be a more prominent tower or a rounded bit to signify an apse.  For the most part, though, the vocabulary of architecture at the time, although generally inherited from late antiquity through Carolingian intermediaries, works a bit like Lego.
Cheers,
Jim
That's about what I thought. My question was stimulated by Gordon's note with his photo: "A panel of glass of c1150 showing St Peter being led from prison by an angel as recounted in the Acts of the Apostles. Though the prison looks more like a church to me!" That made me wonder whether there was a distinctive architecture of prisons, either in construction or in representations.
Genevra
********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html