'that S. Lorenzo vault is a pretty impressive feat, for an Empire in the very
Throes of "Decline," i'm thinking'

I'm not sure anyone at the time would have recognised that description. 'Rome' had lost its grip on the north and west of Europe, but its newish capitals at Milan and Constantinople where major centres of power, architecturally reshaping themselves (and architecturally innovating as they did so) around the new official faith.

Jon

--

Mobile:
07768 234168

Web:
http://joncannon.wordpress.com (blog and main website)
http://joncannonschurches.wordpress.com (subsidiary blog)

> Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 10:08:26 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [M-R] Origin of church towers/minarets
> To: [log in to unmask]

> From: John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
>
> > On 08/01/12, Christopher Crockett wrote:
>
> >> From: "Kleinbauer, W. Eugene" <[log in to unmask]>

> integrated into the fabric of the structure; one of the 4 towers still
> preserves its original masonry for over 22 meters: see W. Eugene Kleinbauer,
> "Aedita in turribus: The Superstructure of the Early Christian Church of San
> Lorenzo in Milan," GESTA, vol. 15, no. ½ (1976), pp. 1-9.
>
> >> http://www.jstor.org/page/info/about/policies/terms.jsp
> >> (i can send a copy to anyone who needs one and is not a subscriber)
>
> >> http://wiki-images.enotes.com/3/33/Milano_Lorenzomaggiore.01.JPG
>
> > That view gives a good impression of the placement of the four towers. The
> one with the original masonry for over 22 meters [of its height] is, I
> believe, the one seen at right here (the northeast tower):
>

> http://www.arte.it/foto/orig/57/2469-1568_-_Milano_-_Absidi_di_san_Lorenzo_-_Foto_Giovanni_Dall_27Orto_-_18-May-2007.jpg
> > http://tinyurl.com/d3lzmoc
>

> thanks, John.
>
> i looked (without success) for something which was similar to the two drawings
> of the "reconstructed" building found in Professor Kleinbauer's article which
> clearly demonstrated how those towers functioned as "anchors" for the *huge*
> groin vault (over a square 24m on a side), which is the thrust of his
> reconstruction of that part of the original building.
>
> for comparative purposes, we may note that the crossing of Amiens cathedral
> (built nearly a thousand years later, and covered with much more efficient Rib
> Vaulting technology)
>
> http://instructional1.calstatela.edu/bevans/Art101/Art101B-9-Gothic
> /WebPage-ImageF.00038.jpeg
>
> is a "mere" 15 meters (or so) on a side.
>
> that S. Lorenzo vault is a pretty impressive feat, for an Empire in the very
> Throes of "Decline," i'm thinking.
>
> maybe the builders there just didn't get the Memo.

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]