It is my understanding that towers were substantially developed during the Carolingian period.  Although not all towers had bells installed in them, the vast majority did, and bells were an integral part of the way that churches functioned.  The Rites of Durham is particularly eloquent on the way that the various bells functioned there, with the three bells in the central tower rung to announce the monastic offices, while the four bells in the northwest tower, the "Galilee Steeple" rung at principal feasts and "such other times as the Bishop did come to town".  The great bell in the Galilee Steeple was also rung on Sundays to announce the services to people in the surrounding area.  Certain bells would also be rung to commemorate benefactors.  Bells also functioned as important indicators of ecclesiastical rights and privileges.  This is particularly clear in the controversies from the mid-13th century over the building of chapels at monastic agricultural estates.  The main point of contention in this matter was the potential contravention of existing ecclesiastical jurisdictions.  When the monks of the Cistercian house of Waverley, for instance, sought the right to celebrate mass at their grange at Neatham in the mid-13th century, "they agreed to permit neither the ringing of bells nor the administration of the sacraments at their grange".  And at Chartres in 1362, the nuns of Notre-Dame de l'Eau were forced to destroy the belfry that previously had adorned the chapel of their town establishment at Chartres, because they had had contravened a privilege of the dean and chapter by building the chapel without a licence to do so.
It has been pointed out that this is an ignored topic.  Certainly true, but I have heard of a recent book on church towers in Yorkshire; sorry I don't have an exact reference.
Cheers,
Jim

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Jon Cannon [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: July 31, 2012 8:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Origin of church towers/minarets

Funnily enough, that's one of my reasons for asking. So I have good material on minarets: Krautheimer's Islamic Architecture (1986) is among works with a detailed discussion, which you may find useful. In short, they are early, but significantly later than the architecture of the mosque itself; however they predate the period when churches are being converted to mosques (though there were many standing and functioning churches in the lansdscape in which mosques were first built); also their original function is in doubt.

There seems little doubt that existing church towers predated minarets and were a major influence on them -- what I'm looking for now is something equally authoritative on the origin of church towers.

Jon

--

Mobile:
07768 234168