Sorry everyone - forgot my response would go to the whole group!

-----Original Message-----
From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bronwen Colquhoun
Sent: 13 August 2012 15:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Flickr co-curation project at the Library of Congress

Dear all,

I hope you are well and enjoying the summer.

I am a PhD student from Newcastle University and I'm currently carrying out research at the Library of Congress in Washington DC. My research looks at how cultural institutions are using social media applications such as Flickr to promote access to their collections and support community engagement. I am carrying out a fellowship at the Library until September 2012 but I've also been doing similar projects with other UK-based Flickr Commons institutions including the National Maritime Museum and Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums: http://blog.flickr.net/en/2012/05/23/curate-the-commons
I was hoping I might be able to tempt some of you into participating in or spreading the word about an exciting online co-curation project I am organising in conjunction with the Library of Congress' Flickr account. The Library has been a member of Flickr for over four years and within that time has uploaded a diverse selection of photographs from their vast collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/sets/
As part of my research I am interested in learning more about the interests and motivations of the Flickr community and the Library is hoping that this will inform future uploads of photographs. To try and get a better understanding of these interests, we are asking for your help to curate a new set of photographs for Flickr Commons. We would love for you to express yourself visually by creating a personal gallery of 'My LOC Favorites'. The most popular pictures will form a new set that reflects the diverse photographic interests and expertise of the Flickr community.
Here's how:
* First, create a new gallery in your Flickr account with the title 'My LOC Favorites'.
* Add ten of your favorite images from the Library of Congress sets on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/sets/. Top ten only, please!
* It would be great if you could explain the reasons for your choices beside each image. More detail can help guide future selections for Flickr.
You have until Friday, August 31st to create your gallery.  Once we have looked at everyone's galleries, we will post a new Flickr set highlighting the top selections. Further information about creating galleries in Flickr can also be found here: http://www.flickr.com/help/galleries/
We have also started a discussion in the Flickr Commons Group and would love for you to tell us more about your interests and motivations for participating in the co-curation project in more detail: http://www.flickr.com/groups/flickrcommons/discuss/72157630900393546/
Further information about the project is also available on the Library's 'Picture This' blog: http://blogs.loc.gov/picturethis/2012/08/the-photography-meetup-and-a-chance-to-participate-virtually/ or you can contact me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> if you have any further questions.
Please feel free to pass on this information to relevant individuals or organisations - any help in spreading the word would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks very much!
Bronwen

Bronwen Colquhoun
PhD Researcher
International Centre for Cultural and Heritage Studies (ICCHS)
18-20 Windsor Terrace
Newcastle University
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU