Before I do commit myself to a recumbent position I would just like to emphasise that my point related to one very small element of the overall ceremony (ie the depiction of books as the source of knowledge). Generally I felt it was a powerful tribute to what people can achieve (irrespective of what we call “disability”) and I fully accept that my perception was not the intended one.

However I feel that “homage was paid to the acquisition of knowledge” through printed books, which is itself  a “lazy paradigm” and only partially helpful in promoting libraries, since we are not about the books themselves, but making available what is in them to as many people as possible, not only to those people who can access the printed word.

That’s all

Shaun

Shaun Smith ([log in to unmask])

Strategic Manager: Service Delivery