It is good to see a very experienced public librarian commenting on the current situation,. And showing a way that things can be done both to save libraries but maintain professionalism

Well done Barry., maybe you ought to come out of retirement and lead the fight!

From: Barry & Jean George [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 22 August 2012 17:10
To: Frances Hendrix; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: taken over by volunteers?

The real issue is not about volunteers helping to maintain services but about the service being managed and developed by professional librarians. When I was managing Bedfordshire Libraries we developed a very successful small branch library that had been closed by working with the local Town Council and a committee of volunteers to re-establish the library. We managed to reinstate about 50% of the original funding so that the library is properly linked into the Council IT system and users are regarded as other uses of the authority’s libraries. The local Town Council pick up the tab for a manager and the remaining staff are volunteers – the library has to purchase its stationary etc. from the authority but they keep any income, including fines. They have been extremely successful in raising income from lettings and manage a range of innovative local activities – but at its heart, the service is managed by the authority’s staff who purchase the stock, provide training and generally oversee the service.

I don’t agree with ‘handing over’ libraries to volunteers or even well-meaning local groups but I do think there must be other examples of harnessing the good will towards libraries by a partnership with the local community whilst maintaining an overall comprehensive service across the authority.

My view, therefore, is that CILIP and the SCL should be making the compelling case for libraries to be managed and developed by professional librarians but ensure they hit the right targets – the Government, local authorities and those library services that have been shedding the need for professional librarians/qualifications over the past few years.

Barry George, MBE