Following up on my original query, I did not have very many responses.
*
*
1 person used a locally designed one.
1 person said "I prefer tiny.cc to tiny.url as it makes the urls slightly
shorter"
1 person uses bitly

According to http://yi.tl/pages/urlshorteners.php, there are 398 live URL
shorteners.

Bearing in mind my specific purpose (which is to provide an easier way of
accessing web pages from a *printed* book, so clicking on a URL, or cut and
paste are not options), the services that came up most frequently on lists
of 'best' or 'recommended' shorteners are:

su.pr (from Stumble Upon & according to
http://youngblah.com/7-best-url-shorteners-of-2012-and-their-benefits/ "one
of the best on the market"

goo.gl
bity
TinyURL
budirl
ls.gd
cli.gs

In the end, I have decided to go with bitly

*Alan*
Best wishes
Alan Pritchard MPhil FCLIP
Tel: +44 (0)1202 417477