Charles wrote:
"I always thought that there were readers for PDF files for users with visual impairments.  Have I missed something?

You do not mean by any chance PDF files which are created by scanning documents and effectively the PDF file stores images of text (too common at my work unfortunately)?"

Pdf files are accessible to people with partial sight loss and to people with dexterity impairments. Some pdf files can be accessible to blind or dyslexic people but they do not meet their needs (this comes as a conclusion after working with print-disabled users for the past 4 years)

We are working with scanned images of text (worst case scenario). Due to an amendment to the greek coyright law (which follows a European Directive) we have the right as an academic library to apply to the publisher for the pdf file.

Eirini

Απο: Charles Christacopoulos <[log in to unmask]>
Προς: [log in to unmask]
Στάλθηκε: 5:12 μ.μ. Τετάρτη, 1 Αυγούστου 2012
Θεμα: Re: Σχετ: Policies on depositing MS Word files

On 01/08/2012 14:07, Eirini Dafermou wrote:

> The majority of PDF files are inaccessible to the print-disabled users.
> Word and Epub on the other hand are compatible with screen-readers. If
> you could go with a multi-modal way then you could serve the needs of
> all potential users in an inclusive education environment and enhance
> preservation.

Hi Eirini,

I always thought that there were readers for PDF files for users with visual impairments.  Have I missed something?

You do not mean by any chance PDF files which are created by scanning documents and effectively the PDF file stores images of text (too common at my work unfortunately)?

Cheers,
Charles

-- Charles Christacopoulos, Management Information Officer,
Strategic Information Management, ICS, University of Dundee,
Dundee, DD1 4HN, Scotland, United Kingdom.
t: 44(0)1382-384891 w: www.somis.dundee.ac.uk