For years now, I've just been re-using an old
Ulrich<http://ulrichsweb.serialssolutions.com>'s
estimate of about *25,000* for the total number of active peer-reviewed
journals.

Prompted by a recent query from someone, I've checked again, and -- unless
I've made a mistake in my search -- the number now seems to have doubled to
*55,311*.

The parameters I used to get this figure were (1) Active, (2) Journal, (3)
Academic/Scholarly, (4) Refereed/Peer-reviewed,

A further breakdown shows that of these *55,311* active peer reviewed
journals,

*23,527* (*43%*) are available online

*9,354* (*17%*) are indexed in Thomson-Reuters-ISI's Journal Citation
reports

*6,962* (*13%*) are open access journals (freely available online) (Gold
OA, presumably not including Hybrid Gold).

*769* (*11%*) of the 9,354 Thomson-Reuters-ISI-indexed journals are open
access journals

--

According to the last estimate of journals indexed by SHERPA/ROMEO (which
does not include all the journals indexed by Ulrichs, but does include most

*60%* of journals recognize the author's right to provide immediate,
un-embargoed open access upon self-archiving their final drafts in their
institutional repositories.

--

It would be helpful if others could check and confirm these figures.

Stevan Harnad