Hi Dave-
I'm sure you know this, but this question would appear to be relevant in a strict sense only for the first bit of garnet to form.  After that, the bulk composition is altered by the sequestration of material inside existing garnet.  So, "garnet cores" isn't sufficient, it seems to me; you'd need to specify "garnet cores of the largest garnet in a hand specimen" (presuming, of course, that a hand specimen is equivalent to the volume of major-element equilibration during crystallization, which is probably only roughly correct).

(cf, for example: Evans, T.P., 2004a, A method for calculating effective bulk composition modification due to crystal fractionation in garnet-bearing schist; implications for isopleth thermobarometry: Journal of Metamorphic Geology, v. 22, p. 547-557)
-Dave