The recent posting by Cristiano reminded me that I've been lurking on this list for a few months, and my introduction is overdue.  I am a historian of Kenya at Virginia Tech in the U.S.  My previous research has not been refugee-related, but I have been involved with resettled refugee communities in southwest Virginia.  This year, however, I took two students to Kakuma refugee camp to volunteer with Lutheran World Federation.  In the coming semester, they will conduct research on issues that emerged during their month in Kakuma.  (I should note that I carefully selected the students, drilled them on histories of the region and on refugee issues, and worked on making them self-aware about paternalism, civilizing missions, and the like.)  I hope to make this an ongoing project, possibly in conjunction with the Jesuit Refugee Services who are pioneering online classes in Kakuma and US universities. I have also begun a bit of new research into refugee policies in Kenya during the colonial and early post-colonial eras.

Thanks
Brett L Shadle
Associate Professor of African History
Virginia Tech

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the
Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by Forced Migration
Online, Refugee Studies Centre (RSC), Oxford Department of International
Development, University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the
views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or
re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or
extracts should include attribution to the original sources.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Posting guidelines: http://www.forcedmigration.org/research-resources/discussion/forced-migration-discussion-list-posting-guidelines