Dear list members - A very interesting message from colleagues in Bologna

Subject: Transnational perspectives on women's art, feminism and curating / MAMbo, Museo d'Arte Moderna di Bologna

Dear Dr. Lara Perry,
       during our researches we found your interesting project that, we believe, could be related to the work we are devoloping (detailed in the attached file) and this is the reason MAMbo would like to join your network.

    In the context of a complete survey of its own collections, our Museum is promoting a research dedicated to the “political vocation” of Italian art. The first enquiry we are attempting                concerns the relationships between women and art, in Italy, in the latest decades.
        We would like to base our attempt upon some distinct elements of these models: the importance given to recognition among women, the nurturing of collective thought starting from         the self, the grounding of political activity in the aim for desire and pleasure.

       Since March 2012 we have opened a blog related to the project: http://mamboforum.forumfree.it/, and we are planning, from January 2013, an exhibition, meetings, labs and workshops.

Following, a brief presentation of MAMbo, Museo d'Arte Moderna di Bologna.

Mambo is the Bologna Modern Art Museum. With its permanent collection the museum traces the history of Italian art from World War II to the present day, as seen through the experience of the former Galleria d'Arte Moderna di Bologna. MAMbo supports the most innovative artistic practices and helps outline the routes of contemporary art, through an exhibition program focused on research and experimentation.
The museum cooperates with cultural and academic institutions to promote opportunities for reflection involving scholars as well as the general public, stimulating the debate on contemporary culture. With its 9,500 square meters, MAMbo is the main seat of the Istituzione Galleria d'Arte Moderna di Bologna, which also includes Villa delle Rose, Museo per la Memoria di Ustica, Museo Morandi and Casa Morandi.
Located in the heart of the Manifattura delle Arti cultural district, the museum is the focus of various research- and innovation-based activities, such as the Cineteca di Bologna, the DMS workshop spaces, the Communication Sciences Faculty and many associations and art galleries.

The history of MAMbo is inextricably linked to the Galleria d'Arte Moderna di Bologna, whence the existing museum came to life and on which rest its research’s foundations as well as the project it is still carrying out.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        The Galleria d'Arte Moderna di Bologna opened in 1975 in the spaces specially designed by artist and architect Leone Pancaldi; it was born in the atmosphere of intellectual fervor that pervaded the city at the beginning of the Sixties. Before GAM’s opening, more than a decade of events, exhibitions and competitions had taken place in hope of its construction, culminating in the opening activities joint under the title "A museum today."                                                                                                                                                                                            GAM’s activities, spanning over more than thirty years, were based on a binary project combining the presentation of cultural vanguards to the re-reading of Italian and international art history: from the International Week of Performance to anthological shows devoted to the protagonists of the twentieth century, from its parallel and complementary activity within the Villa delle Rose to the constant monitoring of young Italian artists represented by its Spazio Aperto experiment.                                                                                                                                              Mambo, sharing this extraordinary tradition’s motivations with the aim of enhancing its outcomes, has developed a program of activities combining the institution’s international placement with a reflection on the role of museums, whose immediate relevance can’t ignore the theoretical tenets established in the Seventies.                                                                                                    The birth of MAMbo is part of the urban recovery of the Manifattura delle Arti, which includes the DMS university campus (in the former Manifattura Tabacchi), the Film Archive (in the former Macello) and Cassero (in the former Salara). The museum’s presence in this city, from its origin as a center of production and trade, strengthens the idea of a museum as a new center of cultural manufacture, testing, research and innovation.

Looking forward for a kind reply, we send you our best regards                                                                                                                                                                                                         Sabrina Samorì

Collezioni e archivio
MAMbo - Museo d'Arte Moderna di Bologna
Via Don Minzoni, 14
I - 40121 Bologna