From: Evidence based health (EBH) [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Patrick Burke [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: August-23-12 7:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Foreground vs. background question - from definition to useful concept.

Good day to the group,

On the theme of definitions, I'm coming to the conclusion that the terms "foreground" and "background" questions are not as strictly defined as I might have thought.

I base this conclusion upon a quick search of online resources to define the terms (see below).  Conceptually, the only strongly agreed upon aspects is 1) a background question is general & foreground question is (patient) specific and 2) a background question is from general references and foreground question is from primary or secondary research and involves the structured question.  However, those two parameters are silent about the scope and limitation about the knowledge one is seeking and does not describe how the two questions interrelate...and then the definitions vary...

For example, is the diagnosis of celiac disease or autism (spectrum disorders) may be considered a background question, but those diagnoses have and continue to evolve over time and they're diagnosis varies by age; so Nelson's pediatrics from 2005 may differ from a 2006 review paper in BMJ etc.  However, on the flip-side, in order to craft a well-framed clinical foreground question about a diagnostic test for autism or celiac disease, it is usually prudent to first understand how the populations are being defined and measured.

So - practically speaking - when I'm coaching trainees how to ask questions (or even improving myself), I'm finding these definitional concepts helpful but perhaps structurally incomplete.

--Patrick

Appended:

A list of website and online .pdfs that define the terms:

http://library.downstate.edu/EBM2/foreground.htm
http://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/medical_education/graduate/Core_Curriculum/Evidence Based Medicine.pdf
http://researchguides.dml.georgetown.edu/content.php?pid=129563&sid=1111394
http://www.aafp.org/fpm/2005/0700/p37.html