please see the very detailed IOM report

http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=12598&page=6

It contains the following definition:
Conflicts of interest are defined as*circumstances that create a risk that
professional judgments or actions* *regarding a primary interest will be
unduly influenced by a secondary* *interest.*

The word POTENTIAL in relation to conflict of interest should be avoided. A
COI is a risk and therefore by definition a potential. COI doesn't deal
with causation i.e. whether they have actually influenced decisions, only
that there is a risk.

Best

Andreas Lundh
The Nordic Cochrane Centre