Dear all,

Dr. Stanely makes an excellent point. In our course EBHC Oxford we have a
module that addresses this and urges us to come up with materials that are
usable on all fronts.  Our knowledge in action component also stresses the
importance of considering all the factors. What I find quite frustrating is
the inconsistencies of numbers across country populations and the difficulty
of integrating the qualitative information needed or to discern if it has
been integrated at all in the  literature particularly the systematic
reviews. I am consistently having to go back to the original research rather
than accept a review at face value. I think RCTs and systematic reviews are
not equipped to deliver clinical expertise, they are tools in the hands of a
clinical expert. I think it is difficult to extract information from sources
that did not set out to include these factor in their outcomes.  It would be
good to explore ways to communicate this very important logic. Another
aspect I would like to see to aid decision logic is experiential knowledge,
if the process faces invisible barriers to implementation it is a lot of
work for nothing.  Public and patient stakeholders are starting to serve as
advisors in research to promote positive change across multiple cultures and
social climates. In the OMERACT initiative for example it was patients
themselves who identified a state of exhaustion as a major consequence of
Rheumatoid Arthritis though researchers had not noted this even after years
of working together as an international collaborative. We at Thinkwell are
working on an intiative to expand this process to other areas of research
and diagnostics.

Kirwan JR, Boonen A, Harrison MJ, Hewlett SE, Wells GA, Singh JA, et al.
OMERACT 10 Patient Perspective Virtual Campus: valuing health; measuring
outcomes in rheumatoid arthritis fatigue, RA sleep, arthroplasty, and
systemic sclerosis; and clinical significance of changes in health. The
Journal of rheumatology 2011;38(8):1728-34.

Best,
Amy