Morag - it sounds like (from a planning policy/law perspective) you might
have not many legs to stand on. You need to look closely through Council
policy for any kind of statement that you can interpret as preserving
public open space and rights of way - there may be some kind of local
by-law or policy that specifies retention of public open space?

Perhaps your best course of action is more direct - picket, occupy,
campaign, and generate wider appreciation of what is about to happen.  If
there's enough of a groundswell opposing the plan, that might swing it your
way.  Stephen's right that rational argument is unlikely to work.

Some links to campaigns on planning-related issues (though none
specifically related as far as I can recall on your issue) is on Planners
Network UK's website here: www.pnuk.org.uk

Good luck
Libby

Dr Libby Porter
Senior Lecturer in Human Geography
School of Geography and Environmental Science
Monash University
Clayton VIC 3800
AUSTRALIA
Phone: ++613 990 20109

Interested in progressive planning and critical urban action?
Visit *Planners Network UK *at www.pnuk.org.uk, or *Planners Network* at
plannersnetwork.org, or
the *International Network for Urban Research and Action*, at www.inura.org

Get all the latest planning scholarship from *Planning Theory and Practice*,
see www.tandfonline.com/toc/rptp20/current