Hi Paul and Walter...

Agreed of course the major issue is not individual behaviors but
larger questions that go to the heart of modes of production, growth
for growths sake, and the links between neoliberalism and
environmental destruction (one of my colleagues, Scott Prudham, has
written some great stuff on this w James MacCarthy), and *exclusive*
focus on individual behaviours can have a disciplining effect while
relentless destruction continues apace in other quarters....   and of
course I fly places as well where alternate travel is difficult (AAG
Hawaii is a case in point)

But, that said, I don't think it needs to  be an either/or, and I
think (perhaps following Tarde) that there can be a synergistic effect
between localized cultural shifts and the emergence of mass movements,
or even links between struggles in production and consumption (think
Caeser Chavez and the grape boycott) - so properly posed I don't think
these things are incidental

and to my mind shifts in one set of practices can have knock on
effects that speak to the collective reorganization of everyday life...

so although the question I posed seemed focused on individual
behaviour, for me it's not about rejigging a set of individual
behaviours to get into a kind of competitive "my carbon footprint is
smaller than yours" but rather reshaping a whole array of cultural
practices that might feed a different kind of vision and a different
kind of movement...