That’s the one, Tom. It was Archbishop Oscar Romero who said that and was gunned down for it while saying Mass in 1980. It was Gustavo Gutiérrez whose “A Theology of Liberation” really put it on the map. Pope John Paul II started to put to put the no-no on it, mainly the work of an authoritarian Cardinal Ratzinger, who is now Pope Benedict … so Catholicism also has a problem like Russian Orthodoxy does, though not nearly so bad, and the very positive thing you can say about the Catholic Church is that throughout most of the 20th century it has been strong on poverty and on challenging warmongering. The tragedy of the Russian Orthodox church is that during the decades of lying low under communism, it failed to develop its social teaching in the way that the Catholics managed to do. This is why although its deeper theology is, in my opinion, second to none in Christian tradition (and I say that as a Quaker) – it is a theology of Life and largely without the obsession with cosmic-child-abusing penal substitutionary atonement that we get in western Protestant traditions – it has remained deeply socially conservative, including a dogged insistence on being a “patriarchy”, which is another reason why the ministry of Pussy Riot is so powerful.

What has this to do with Crisis Forum? Post 9/11 and indeed, before that in the decolonising Shia Islamic world, religion has been moving back into centre change as a driver of socio-political transformation. My apologies to any who might find me over enthusiastic on this, but it is something that can no longer be ignored by scholars of social change and international relations the way it used to be up until about a decade ago. A short introduction to Catholic liberation theology (most of them are very turgid, as they’re too busy having to justify themselves in terms of Catholic expectations) is Boff & Boff. A book I often use, tying liberation theologies in with nonviolent political revolutions thought a little dated now is Johnson and (President) Jimmy Carter. To me, the most important work in applying the spirituality to tackling power is the late Walter Wink’s Engaging the Powers. It is the 3rd in his power triology, but Walter always recommended reading them backward, and it is this book that I use when teaching spiritual activism as a core text, along with Grof & Grof’s Spiritual Emergency (which lifts it all right outside a conventional religious context, with powerful contributions by psychiatrist R.D. Laing and Ram Dass – Timothy Leary’s partner in crime).

What exciting times, and talking of Flower Power, I see the singer Scott MacKenzie has just passed away (wear a flower in your hair).

Alastair

From: Discussion list for the Crisis Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Barker, Tom
Sent: 20 August 2012 01:45
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The Liberation Theology of Pussy Riot's Trial Statements

Thanks Alastair. These are excellent statements, and all the more poignant because they are widely applicable. Now 'liberation theology': was that the chap, perhaps the very Brazilian bishop who was later shot, who said something along the lines of, "When I help the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist"?

The Putins of this world are not only to be found in Russia. What we need now is 'liberation ecology'.

Tom