Hi Zhijie,

Is the LG D2342P-PN screen glossy or anti-glare surface?  The Zalman ZM-M240W I have is
glossy.

Thank you.

Scott

Scott T. R. Walsh, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
University of Maryland
IBBR/CBMG
Rm 3127E CARB-2
9600 Gudelsky Drive
Rockville, MD 20850
email: [log in to unmask]
phone: (240) 314-6478
fax: (240) 314-6255

On Aug 9, 2012, at 2:26 PM, Zhijie Li wrote:

Hello,

We have received our LG D2342P-PN monitor yesterday and did a little test.
Simply put, it works perfectly for stereo display on COOT and Chimera. We
didn't test pymol, as the 0.99 version doesn't have support for the Zalman
mode. But the educational version of the new pymol seems to have the Zalman
mode.

Here I list some observations:
1. We had a Zalman ZM-M215W monitor shortly before this one. The two models
are quite comparable to each other.
2. Both the Zalman and the LG D2342P emit circular polarized light. So
simple linear polarization films won't be able to separate the light from
the odd and even lines. But the 3D stereo cinemas are of the same type. My
3D stereo glasses from a cinema is about 45 degrees counter-clockwise off
the LG glasses' axes, but the left and right images are not switched. So it
can work OK with the LG monitors, with only a little ghost image, and if I
tilt my head to the left then it is as clean as the LG glasses. On the other
hand, except for the two pairs of glasses came with the monitor, I haven't
figured out where to buy extra glasses yet.
3. Both Zalman and LG D2342P have wide horizontal viewing angles, but
limited vertical viewing angle (maybe 20-40 degrees) for the stereo display
(2D display is not limited). This is probably due to that there is a
distance between the polarizer layer and the pixel layer so that if viewed
from an angle above or below, some light from one row of pixels would have
to travel through the line of polarizer one row above or below and then the
polarization is mixed - just my guess.
4. Both Zalman and LG D2342P can work on any computer with a VGA or DVI
output and have nothing to do with the operating systems. No special driver
is needed. We tested them on our desktops and laptops, in Linux, real and VM
Windows. They worked just fine in all cases.

Regards,

Zhijie