Dear BoB National Administrator,

Apologies for the authentication problems that have affected some institutions this week.Despite careful considerations, and a successful installation of the new servers we have found a number of institutions were having access problems.The access loss ranged from sporadic to total and this proved  to be extraordinarily difficult to diagnose.

It seems there was an issue with a duplicate certificate that did not affect Athens users as they were automatically routed to the correct certificate. It also would not have affected those still running SAML 1.1 as there is no encryption involved.

To resolve this, we have this afternoon asked for the UK Federation to remove the rogue certificate. This has been done and published this afternoon. If this is correct, then those of you without access should be able to gain entry by tomorrow - when the metadata is updated locally.

Apologies again for the inconvenience this has caused.  I will be monitoring the situation over the weekend.

Kind Regards,

Markeda Cole

BUFVC Off Air Recordings Officer

British Universities Film & Video Council

77 Wells Street, London W1T 3QJ

tel: 020 7393 1514

fax: 020 7393 1555

www.bufvc.ac.uk