From: "Engineers and biologists mechanical design list"
Sent:Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:01:47 +0100
Subject:Welcome to the airplane of the future | SmartPlanet

(courtesy of David
Knight)http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/science-scope/welcome-to-the-airplane-of-the-future/13456?tag=nl.e660
[1]
It's all very well talking about a fuselage designed like the struts
inside a bone, but (a) the bone still has a shell, the struts are
inside; (b) the bone is essentially internally triangulated.  The
fuselage figured in the smartplanet blog looks more like a mechanism!
 Are we in kingfisher/shinkansen country??  Perhaps more seriously
- the wet dream of aircraft manufacturers used to be knitting the
shell like a sock, extruding the structure.  At least that had the
possibility that the tensile elements were in the right place
 What's the chances that a fuselage can be produced by RP?  I
haven't seen any relevant data on bird bone, but the fracture
properties (production of long splinters, etc) indicate that the
structure of the bone is highly orientated along the shaft.
 Reduction in the amount of material has to be predicated on much
more careful design and analysis of loads.  It's taken 25+ years
(about a generation) to get carbon fibre accepted into aircraft
design, and I'm told that even then the calculations are more relevant
to a metal structure.
Julian Vincent
Frome RoadOdd DownBATHBA2  2QBtel: 01225 835076Mob: 07941 933 9013rd
edition of "Structural Biomaterials" is now
out: http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9774.html [2]

Links:
------
[1]