What sort of system do they use on a space station?  I've seen sketches - it's small (has to be!) and does some recycling, though I don't know how much.  But if you're not using it in a space station, why are you disposing of the solids?  You should be using them as fertiliser to displace use of oil-based 'fertilisers'!

Julian