Norbert,
That's a pretty detailed "shot" you took!
Clearly, setting up some good case studies will require a lot of work, and may lead to a number of dead ends in cases where good documentation really cannot be found or doesn't exist.
Seems like a great research project, though.  Now if only there were a way to get funding for it....
/fas