you are right. the reviewer is wrong. As you say yourself, the chance that
these six p-values are all drawn from a [0;1] uniform distribution is very
small. Actually, the "correction" should go the other way: even if all of
the were between (say) 0.05 and 0.15, the over-all conclusion might well be
to reject the null hypothesis. What you might do is to add the squares of
the six z-statistics. Assuming each z-statistic is N(0,1) and they are
independent, the result would be chisquare (df=6) distributed.

By the way, it doesn't matter if the degrees of freedom are the same for
all the six tests. p-values are p-values. But I would prefer to combine the
underlying test statistics rather than combining the p-values. If the
p-values come from normal distributted test statistics (this is
assymtotically true for many standard tests), then the chi-square test I
suggested is valid, and it gives a p-value of 2.6E-11 in this case. Which
should be signifcant enough even for a physics journal!

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Andy Cooper <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have the following question which I am hoping native statisticians (I am
> physicist by training) can help me address. To set the background as to
> why I am asking this question: a manuscript recently submitted to a Physics
> journal got rejected because 1 of the 3 reviewers claims that a result
> presented in the given manuscript is wrong. I would therefore be very
> grateful to hear the opinion of statisticians.
>
> The issue in question is as follows: Suppose we have 6 statistics (e.g
> z-statistics), each derived from an independent data set (i.e 6 independent
> data sets in total). We can assume that the number of degrees of freedom is
> the same in each data set, so that the corresponding P-values are also
> comparable. We can further assume that each independent data set is a
> sample from an underlying population. Under the null hypothesis (z=0), the
> P-values would be distributed uniformly between 0 and 1. Now, the observed
> P-values are in fact (3e-9, 0.04, 0.05, 0.03, 0.02, 0.005), i.e they are
> all less than 0.06. It is clear, at least to me, that the chance that these
> P-values are drawn from a uniform distribution is pretty small (<1e-8). Yet
> the reviewer in question claims that there is no overall significance.
> His/her argument is based on the Bonferroni correction: using a threshold
> of 0.05/6~0.008 only 2 P-values pass this threshold, which he/she then goes
> on to claim is not meaningful enough.
>
> My response to the reviewer's comment is that the use of a Bonferroni
> correction to establish the overall significance of the 6 P-values is
> wrong. The Bonferroni correction is ill-suited for this particular
> application since it is overly conservative, leading to a large fraction of
> false negatives. Remarkably, the editor of the Physics journal in question
> finds the reviewers arguments (i.e using the Bonferroni correction) as
> "persuasive".
>
> I would be most grateful for your comments.

> You may leave the list at any time by sending the command
>
> SIGNOFF allstat
>
> to [log in to unmask], leaving the subject line blank.

SIGNOFF allstat