Hi - please see my notes below.

On 31 July 2012 17:13, Akpom-Simon, Nneb <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear All,

We are currently exploring and reviewing positive action initiatives to increase the number of female staff in senior grades, i.e. both in Professorial or Senior Administrative grades.  I would welcome information on initiatives/policy implemented in other HEI’s to address this concern.

Below is a list of some positive action initiatives. It would be helpful to know;

1) Which are in operation in your HEI

2) The impact they have had

3) Any other action your HEI has in place not listed

•           Targeted recruitment

We use UKRC and other places to target our recruitment, and include statements around flexibility and to try and attract more women.  We will be doing more at faculty levels, and are discussing reviewing our central information.  We are also looking at this as part of reviewing the University's Eq Objectives.

•           Succession Planning

•           Leadership development programmes

Sheffield Leader: open to men and women but with a push on ensuring balanced representation.  See: http://www.shef.ac.uk/hr/sld/lmd/sheffieldleader

•           Mentoring

Two of our mentoring programmes are targetted at female staff, and the impact is very positive.  See:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/hr/archive/2.5341/target/mentoring/impact

We also have other mentoring programmes, including for researchers.

•           Career development workshops

In addtion to our programme open to all, we have specific training for women which is very well attended and gets really positive feedback.  Our Staff Development team could talk to you about these.

•           Unconscious bias training for recruiters and decision makers

We are currently looking into this.

•           Women network group – (senior women’s group)

We have a women's steering group, a female professors network and a newly formed Women in STEM network.  We also have a specific Women in Engineering group.  Our STEM faculties have groups dedicated to Athena Swan.

•           A review of the recruitment/promotion process to identify barriers and areas for further positive action (E.g. consideration taken of impact of PT working and maternity leave)

All of our faculties have e&d groups, or will have soon, which take these into account within their own faculties.  Our Council Level Equality and Diversity Board is also looking at these types of issues as part of our review of equality objectives for the University.

•           Athena Swan Charter

We will renew the University submission in November.  All three STEM faculties have Athena Groups, and each STEM department has 2 Athena Champions, who are all looking at the process and are at different stages of self assessment.

Happy to discuss any of this off-line, but am away now until September.  The overall impact is cumulative, and it's about getting people engaged with e&d, about why it's important and how it can support the business aswell as creating a supportive environment.  We also have a Women's Academic Returners Programme and a female progression action plan.

Julie

Thanks

Nneb

Ms Nneb Akpom-Simon

Equality and Diversity Adviser

HR Corporate Policy and Employee Relations Unit

City University

London EC1V OHB

Phone: 020 7040 4069

Email: [log in to unmask]

This email and its contents are the property of City University London. If you are not the intended recipient of this message and any attached files, please delete it. Unauthorised copying or distribution of this message, its attachments or parts thereof, is strictly prohibited unless specifically stated otherwise.

Julie Campbell
Senior HR Advisor (Equality and Diversity)
Organisational Development Team
Human Resources
The University of Sheffield
Tel. 0114 222 1499

Working Pattern:
Monday, Thursday and Friday to 3.00, Tuesday and Wednesday all day