Emma,

Thanks for the question. We approach this differently and correct for the effect
of haemolysis with an algorithm. If uncertainty of the correction is large we add
a footnote indicating that the result has a larger uncertainty (ie up to +/- 20%).

This correction includes all haemolysis indices including very low ones (eg 0 or
10  or 20 mg/dL) although the effect is very small at these levels.

As this is an off-label use of the test we had our validation of this approach
assessed by NATA (the Australian Accreditation body) as an in-house IVD and this
was accepted.

From a measurement uncertainty approach when we have a bias, in this case due to
an interference from haemolysis, we should remove the bias and add the uncertainty
of the removal process to the uncertainty of the result.

I attach a poster from the AACB meeting in 2010 where we presented the data
(copywrite with the AACB). Obviously if anyone else wants to do this they should
perform their own studies.

Regards,

Graham

>>> "Connell Emma (CROYDON HEALTH SERVICES NHS TRUST)" <[log in to unmask]> 08/02/12
6:33 PM >>>
Dear all,

Would any Roche modular users out there mind sharing the haemolysis index value at
which results for the troponin T hs assay are not reported? The insert says no
interference at haemoglobin concentrations below 0.1 g/dL but with a warning that
any visible sign of haemolysis can cause problems. We have our index set at 50 but
would be interested to hear what others are doing.

Many thanks,
Emma Connell

Emma Connell
Trainee Clinical Scientist
Croydon University Hospital
530 London Road
Thornton Heath
Surrey
CR7 7YE

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient please inform the
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any
action in reliance on its contents:

Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in
England and Scotland
NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information
with NHSmail and GSi recipients
NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed
anywhere

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in
clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet.
Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all
message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk
List Archives
List Instructions (How to leave etc.)
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been virus
scanned and although no viruses were detected by the system, St Vincents &
Mater Health Sydney accepts no liability for any consequential damage
resulting from email containing any computer viruses.

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk