Stained what colour, Bruce? One possibility is that this is from a deposit that has undergone a recent change of pore water/gas, altering the mineralisation of the external surface. The endosteal surface, being somewhat isolated from the surrounding sediment, may have reacted more slowly and retained its former condition. But that's a real speculation!

Terry

Terry O'Connor
 NB new email address [log in to unmask]. [log in to unmask] will shortly cease to operate
Professor of Archaeological Science
Department of Archaeology, University of York
Biology S Block, Heslington,
York YO10 5DD
+44-1943-328619
http://www.york.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/academic-staff/terry-oconnor/