Dear Zooarchaeologists,

I have been preparing animal skeletons for many years, ammonia and caustic soda are not really to be recommended – they can smell and they may damage the bone. Ammonia which I have tried, also works very slowly. There are mixtures of organic solvents that will degrease quickly but these are often toxic/carcinogenic and should not be used. However there are commercially available degreasing machines that are sealed and use such mixtures but are very expensive. They are used for degreasing car motor parts for example.

The best way, and the method I use, is to soak for a few weeks in acetone. Acetone is somewhat toxic and is also inflammable, so should be done away from living areas. I use a gradient of jars or tubs of acetone from greasy (i.e., much used) to cleaner.

For full details see:

Davis, SJM and Payne, S. 1992 101 ways to deal with a dead hedgehog: notes on the preparation of disarticulated skeletons for zoo‑archaeological use. Circaea 8, 95‑104

http://www.envarch.net/publications/circaea/8.2/8-2-whole.pdf#page=37(Spanish translation by M. Mondini, 2003. 101 modos de tratar un erizo muerto: notas sobre la preparación de esqueletos desarticulados para uso zooarqueológico (traduccion de M. Mondini). Archaeofauna 12,203-211)

Davis, SJM. 2001 Blood, bones and ladies' tights, or the things we do in our laboratory. New York, Rubber Band Society Gazette 1 (1), 1 & 6

Davis, SJM; Baker, P.; Payne, S. and Revill, M. 2003 (On preparing animal skeletons: a simple and effective method. International Council for Archaeozoology Newsletter 4 (1) 4 and 15

Here is what we wrote in the ICAZ Newsletter on degreasing:

Bones generally contain a lot of grease.  This means that (unless the unfortunate animal died of starvation) it will be necessary to degrease. If this is not done, the bones can become unpleasant and smelly.  Over the years, grease breaks down as a result of bacterial decay and the resulting acids attack the bones. Degreasing is therefore very important and is done by leaving the bones (small specimens are better left in their tights) in acetone for several weeks.  (Chlorinated degreasing solvents are best avoided, as they are mostly toxic and/or flammable and/or carcinogenic.)  Move specimens through a "sequence" of jars containing increasingly clean acetone.  The greasiest specimens go into Jar 1. Specimens are then moved to Jar 2, which contains cleaner acetone and thence on to Jar 3, which contains the least greasy acetone.  Fish grease being rather light, tends to dissolve out quickly, so fish skeletons de-grease rapidly.  Degreasing old museum specimens may take several months, as old grease seems to be harder to dissolve.

The degreased specimen is then dried. Some zoo-archaeologists like clean white specimens and bleach them.  But chemical bleaches can damage bone and the dazzling white may obscure surface modelling and small surface details.  This can be a particular problem with small bones when viewed under the microscope.  One easy remedy is to stain with tea - black Indian or Ceylon tea being best. Pour hot strong tea over the bones; leave them a few minutes, and then wash and dry.  Staining may also be useful to distinguish certain parts of the skeleton, say left side from right.

Degreasing by the way does not turn bone white. I would also recommend removing all grease where possible. The long-term presence of grease will cause smells and the breakdown products may be acidic and therefore damage the bone.

I hope this helps. If anyone needs advice etc, do not hesitate to contact me!

Simon Davis