I have seen a lot of vivianite on bones from (usually) highly organic and anoxic archaeological deposits here in York. I say 'usually' because the occasional specimen comes out with vivianite patches despite the surrounding sediment not looking particularly humic. I suspect that in these cases, the deposit was anoxic and humic, probably cess-rich, for much of the time since original deposition, but has  dewatered and oxidised sufficiently for degradation of organic content but too recently for conversion of the vivianite to other iron species.

Susanne mentioned seeing more metallic colours on bones as well. I have seen a few cases from anoxic, organic sediments in which the calculus on cattle and sheep teeth has been diagenetically altered to something resembling a complex metal sulphide, such as iron or copper pyrite. Yes, it looks as if the animals have fillings....

Terry

Terry O'Connor
 NB new email address [log in to unmask]. [log in to unmask] will shortly cease to operate
Professor of Archaeological Science
Department of Archaeology, University of York
Biology S Block, Heslington,
York YO10 5DD
+44-1943-328619
http://www.york.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/academic-staff/terry-oconnor/