  From: Moore, Elizabeth (VMNH)
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 3:09 PM
  Subject: [ZOOARCH] stained bone question

  I have a cow carpal that has been stained bright turquoise (blue green) in color. It does not look like any copper staining I have seen before - it's too blue. It is from an inn/hotel built in the 1850s in south central Pennsylvania (eastern United States). Has anybody ever seen any bright turquoise staining? I don't know what color other metals stain except for copper which is usually more green than this. No hints present from the other artifacts in this context.

  Elizabeth

  Dr. Elizabeth Moore

  Curator of Archaeology

  Virginia Museum of Natural History