From: Susanne Miller <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] stained bone question
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:14:27 -0600

Hi Elizabeth - it seems you may have bone stained by vivianite.  This is an iron phosphate material -  I've occasionally seen it encrusting, or as a stain, or 'whiskers', on ancient and even relatively "recent" fossils and bone.

It seems to form in anaerobic iron rich conditions on organic materials - bone, shell, etc.  I'm not at my office/library so can't send any references right now  - but Google, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivianite    http://www.galleries.com/Vivianite  http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/631431/vivianite  (see fun cross reference to 'odontolite' or 'bone turquoise'  http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/425244/odontolite)  for starters?.

You mentioned that no metallic artifacts are in association - copper or iron?

C'mon back later - and would love to hear from you and any others on this occurence.

It's a fun mineral?  Hydrated and often soft and fragile.    It's also similar to another iron mineral that forms in anaerobic conditions - forgot the chemical signature.  If you leave bones or teeth too long in anaerobic maceration prep water,  teeth, especially,  will often be coated with an amazing black-chrome deposit that looks like metal fillings!.  I know from experience (!?)

Best,  Susanne

Susanne Miller
Faunal Analysis and CRM Services
1450 Antares Dr.