Degreasing can be tricky.  The absolute best way is with a commercial
degreaser, or other solvent.  Automobile lacquer thinner works better than
anything else I've ever used.  But of course there are issues with health
effects of sovlents and the need for adequate ventilation that have to be
addressed.

Other than that, water maceration aided by ammonia seems to work the  best.
 Here also there are drawbacks - you have to get all the ammonia out  of
the bones before they dry, so repeated soakings and changes with fresh water
are needed, which can be a bit wasteful of water.

It is important, in my view, to avoid getting all the grease out of the
bone.  A small amount of grease keeps the bone from becoming overly brittle
and cracking.  It also makes photographing the bones much easier. Pure  white
bones, particularly if you commit the sin of bleaching them (even with
H2O3) are so brilliantly white that surface features become hard to even see,
let alone photograph, and you end up having to soak the bones in tea to get
good  pictures.

I've never found the drilling technique very helpful, but some of the old
time preparators always used it, especially for large mammals.  Helmet
Fuchs at the AMNH always drilled the long bones.  H. Chubb never did, other
than for mounting purposes.

Rich

Richard S. White
International Wildlife Museum
Tucson, AZ 85745

In a message dated 7/18/2012 7:16:37 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,